I made these French Knot sachets for my mom for Mother’s Day. They’re fun and easy to make and have a vintage vibe. My sachets are larger at 6″ by 6″ when done so that she could place them on her bed in front of her other bed pillows (and this is a good size to add a ribbon to so folks can hang them on a door knob or somewhere in their kitchen or office).
I used orange burlap that I had to give it a vintage look. It’s fun to embroider on burlap. But note to put masking tape around your edges before you begin stitching (I didn’t do this as I was out of masking tape and I had a lot of fraying, which isn’t good). These sachets are made envelope pillow back style so that they can be refilled (for loose herbs I recommend making a small drawstring muslin bag to insert.) I used cotton batting that I had sprayed profusely with perfume that my mother loves (and then I also included bottles of perfume as part of her gift). My seam allowance was 3/4″ because the burlap does fray, so I both straight stitched and then zigzagged over the seams for added integrity.
Supplies (for two 6″ x 6″ sachets):
- Two Squares of Burlap 7 1/2″ x 7 1/2″
- 4 Squares of Burlap 5″ by 5″ (for the envelope style back)
- Embroidery Thread
- Embroidery Needle
- Embroidery Hoop
- Cotton Batting (or muslin bag)
- Sewing Machine
- Sewing Thread
- Herbs like lavender or Perfume (strong)
Take a look at my other french knot posts (really rocking french knots):
- April Showers Bring French Knot Flowers
- Let’s Get Nautical: Quick Stitch Embroidered Felt Anchor on a Thrifted Top
- & other embroidery posts on Crafty Modern